Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do I change a symbol to a letter?

I have points on a map denoting 'male' and 'female', and I want the points for the 'male' to be an 'M' and for 'female' to be an 'F'

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I guess there are a couple of ways you can do this. Here is one option.

In the Table of Contents, click the symbol you want to change. When the "Symbol Selector" window pops up, click the "Edit Symbol" button and the "Symbol Property Editor" comes up.

Make sure you are in the "Character Marker" tab. Now, click the drop down menu for font to something like Cambria, for example. You can then click the box for whatever letter you want, change the size, colors, etc.

You can also add and remove your symbol layers in the layers box, as well as add an XY offset if you need. Go back through your menus hitting OK, and your letter will now be your symbol.

share|improve this answer

You can create your own symbols using ArcGIS. Check out this A quick tour of symbols and styles and About creating new Symbols.

The steps are as follows, open up the symbol selector (right click in the TOC and click properties > symbology) choose any symbol and click "edit symbol". From the drop down choose > character marker symbol. Choose any font you like, and select the character you need, so in your case 'M' or 'F' you can change the colour and size here as well.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much. I appreciate the help – Tim Forssman Aug 5 '14 at 13:51
No problem, if you found my answer helpful feel free to upvote it and "accept as answer" – GISKid Aug 5 '14 at 13:55

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.