Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This may have a simple answer that I'm just missing.

I have multiple polygons in one shapefile I would like to make a larger Polygon around all of them.

Is there a tool that is able to do this?

Or even a Polyline would work if that is not possible, I can always do the Feature to Polygon tool after.

The images below better explain what I am looking to do (second is just a quick polygon I drew in a few seconds).

It is in order to show different sales areas for my company.


enter image description here

share|improve this question
You might want to create the convex hull around the group of polygons. This is a fairly common tool available in GIS. – WhiteboxDev Sep 2 '14 at 19:49
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Using Minimum Bounding Geometry with the "Convex Hull" option checked, should yield your results.


While this answer it accepted and has 4 upvotes it is a wrong answer. The correct answer is to use "Concave Hull". See the details from the comments below.

share|improve this answer
Concave hull would be better for this use case I have no idea if ArcGIS has a tool for it. – user30184 Sep 2 '14 at 19:52
there is concave hull in ET geowizard, but not in the free version . Convex hull will not work in this case. – radouxju Sep 2 '14 at 19:58
Alpha shapes look also interesting – user30184 Sep 2 '14 at 20:05
@GravitaZ Another similar option, if you have an Advanced license, is Aggregate Polygons. – Chris W Sep 2 '14 at 20:53
@GravitaZ It seems odd to accept Convex Hull as an answer and then to say that Concave Hull solved it. Was it the answer from Maksim that solved your problem or the comment by radouxju? If the latter I think you should ask radouxju to post an answer to that effect so that you can accept that instead. – PolyGeo Sep 2 '14 at 21:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.