Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was planning on drawing some deprivation maps this afternoon, but I can't find a site to download the Lower Super Output Area boundaries from to display the data. The only link I can find is to a word document that allows me to order some CDs but I can't beleive that is the only way to get the data.

Please someone tell me that ONS haven't regressed that badly while I was away.

share|improve this question
But they are still going to mail me CDs :-( – iant Jul 12 '11 at 14:11
I guess they don't have an FTP server - and more cutbacks prevent them from getting one. CD was the way it was 5 years ago but moving forward to direct downloads is a bit too far. – Mapperz Jul 12 '11 at 14:35
I'm sure I could download ward boundaries for 2001 - may be because I was an academic in those days. – iant Jul 12 '11 at 14:44
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I went through this process just last week (email, then CD in the post). Couldn't believe it either - although they posted (for free, anywhere worldwide I think) within hours of my email and I got them a couple of days later. Not sure how this can save costs over a download link..

I'd put them online myself but guess there must be licensing issues.

Seems very old-school, especially when all the census statistics are available through a web REST API, and the OS serve out live vector data for other UK boundaries.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.