I am following the steps recommended by ESRI:
- extrude polyline in ArcScene
- Save as Layer File
- convert Layer file to multipatch
- convert multipatch to Collada
- import collada file to Sketchup
- edit model in SketchUp
- start editing in ArcScene
- select multipatch with Edit Placement Tool
- Replace with Model - Navigate to saved skp (NOTHING HAPPENS)
This only seems to (sort of) work if I export from SketchUp to Collada but only fully closed faces (and only some faces) are visible in ArcScene. Some faces can be seen from the reverse side. It's basically a mess. Not what I was expecting.
Why can't I replace the SketchUp model itself? Is this procedure only meant for very simple models?
I initially wanted to build the model in SketchUp but it seems impossible to export anything out of ArcGIS without the SketchUp 6 Plugin for ArcGIS. Exporting complex surfaces to COLLADA almost always fails and since TIN cannot be exported to SketchUp directly, it has to first be converted to Multipatch. This either fails if the surface is not very simple or yields unusable results. I then decided to do it the other way around (build the model in ArcScene and add SketchUp models to it) but I don't seem to be able to replace simple multipatches with models edited in Sketchup.
I was able to create large Sketchup models in the past (up to version 9.3.1) with complex TIN, polygons, points and lines exported directly from ArcGIS using the SketchUp 6 plugin. I am not really sure what the workflow should now be if the recommended ESRI workflow doesn't really work.