Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am a graduate student and a novice in GIS field. I have few GML files that contain vector polygon data and I want to see them in a map format. The problem is that I do not have access to ArcGIS/Grass GIS software installed in my machine. I am wondering if there are online GIS website where I can upload my file and visualize it. Also is there any simple and small size free/open source software that I can install on my computer?

share|improve this question
up vote 9 down vote accepted

A great GIS that has a huge amount of functionality is QGIS. It is very easy to install especially if you use the osgeo4w installer (Windows). You can use it to view your GML file too.

OSGeo is the place you want to look for OpenSource (free) GIS tools and libraries: You will find a ton of stuff here plus links to QGIS and other desktop mapping tools (scroll down to the links on the bottom right of the page).

share|improve this answer

Look into using ogr2ogr to convert your files to another format. There's a lot more support for KML and GeoJSON in the general open-source GIS world than GML.

share|improve this answer

If you're a programmer, there are lots of ways to visualize GML files with Google Maps and other Map APIs. Here's an example library for Google Maps JavaScript.

share|improve this answer

I can recommend Gaia 3.4 (The Carbon Project). It is free, and it supports a lot of different formats including gml. I use it, whenever I have trouble with WMS or WFS because of Gaia's great compatibility with these formats.

Reagards from Steen

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.