Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a shapefile of irregular polygons and a GRID (both as raster and polygon grid). How can I count the AREA SUM of irregular polygons per grid cell?

Can use ArcGIS, QGIS or R.

(Application: Nation rasterized into GRID. Question: How much area of what type of protected area in each raster cell?)

Thank you,


share|improve this question
Can you clarify: How do you want to handle polygons that do not completely lie within a grid cell? Do you want to include only the portion of their area that lies within the cell? – MappaGnosis Jan 31 '12 at 7:40

Here's a solution using ArcGIS. Union the national polygon with the polygon grid and call it Union. If the Union dataset is not in a geodatabase, create an "area" field and calculate the area of the polygons. Then dissolve Union, using the unique ID field of the grids (not the FID or OJBECTID, but the FID_grid or OBJECTID_grid field) and the protected area field as the dissolve fields. If the dissolved dataset isn't stored in a geodatabase, then add the area field in the statistics fields, using the SUM statistics type.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
You could alternatively add the area field at the end of all the processing and perform a Calculate Geometry on the final feature class. (Or if you're working in a geodatabase, the area will be automatically calculated for you, using the default area unit of the projection your features are in -- usually square meters or square feet.) – nmpeterson Jan 31 '12 at 17:50
I had thought about that, but the Dissolve's statistics fields option does both steps for you. – kenbuja Jan 31 '12 at 18:11
My main problem with doing it that way -- and it's only a problem because I'm anal about such things -- is that you end up with a fieldname like "SUM_Area". To get one called, simply, "Area" you would have to create a new field, populate it with the values from SUM_Area, and delete the SUM_Area field. But Esri's inept inability to enable the simple renaming of fields is another topic entirely. – nmpeterson Jan 31 '12 at 18:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.