Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which interpolation method is the best suitable for hill/valley areas and normal ground with undulations and rivers? When working with Aster 30mX30m DEMs, which method will give the most realistic elevations? I am trying with different methods and getting different contour distribution and shapes but don't know which will give the most accurate and realistic values.

share|improve this question
May be it will be better to add some information: which soft do you use for interpolation and what choices of interpolation methods do you have? – Alex Markov Mar 5 '12 at 12:40
Till now I am using ArcGis, Erdas, Envi.etc..with IDW,Kriging,Natural Neighbor,Spline,Trend etc.... – Dr. A.D.Prasad Mar 5 '12 at 13:18
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I wonder why do you want to interpolate your DEM? It is already gridded!

In case you want to interpolate your DEM to smooth your surface I can recommend the "Multilevel B-Spline Interpolation" tool in SAGA-GIS. I made good experiences with it. You can adjust the smoothing-parameter and therefore control the magnitude of smoothing.

share|improve this answer
As you suggested, I will try this also. Till now I am using ArcGis, Erdas, Envi.etc.. In my DEM I have areas with hills/valley and also with few undulations areas with straems and sea area....My observation with different types of interpolation methods gives some reliability to some areas(hills or plain area) not realistic to the entire area with one method. – Dr. A.D.Prasad Mar 5 '12 at 13:08
Did he mean when projecting the data? – traggatmot Jul 28 '14 at 21:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.