We have a production GIS viewer that runs on a production server. Testing new development/data is done on a test server and we develop on a different server also. At the moment, a lot of the deployment is manual work, with risk for errors. I would like to automate whatever is possible to reduce that risk.
I was wondering what kind of best practices are used to maintain and deploy new data (Almost all data for our viewer is kept in Filegeodatabase format).
My main questions are these:
- What kind of scripts/tools do you use to deploy new maps,services,data to your production server,
- do you deploy them manually? In ArcCatalog or the web manager?
- do you copy and paste the cfg files, do you change the settings of those files manually or with scripts?
- Do you keep stuff in version control? What do you keep there?
- How do you manage different settings between servers (min and max number of SOC's per service for example)
- What kind of best pratices in general do you recommend. Are there good docs to read about it?