Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to have/create a map of Kazakhstan in the same way as in the attached picture (grey map of UK and Irland) using QGIS? I don't know what kind of map is this, what its name and where I can get it? And how to have it in this small size with a point on it?

Thanks in advance.

Grey map

share|improve this question
What kind of map? A grey one with a dot on it. – Nathan W May 18 '12 at 4:57
Sasha, if you are new to all things GIS - people might be a little less harsh if you declare that, but in general you will get a better response if you are more specific. – MappaGnosis May 18 '12 at 12:05
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I would call that an "inset map" (that is, inset to another image or even map). I use them a lot to give a quick visual context to a higher resolution map on the same page.

There are quite a few sources of basic country outline data such as GADM, SLAB and World Borders Dataset from which you should be able to make a suitable simple inset map for Kazakhstan. Open the data in QGIS, select Kazakhstan from the layer's attributes and zoom to the location. Use a point dataset to place your point or add a point manually in the Map Composer and/or add labels to suit. You can then export your map as an image file from the Map Composer. If you already have the image you want to add the inset map to, you could include that in yuour map composition in QGIS.

I hope this helps.

share|improve this answer
Many thanks, it helps! – Sasha May 21 '12 at 5:35

This looks like a political map to me (just country outlines). If I was going to make a map like the one in your photo, I would start with data from Natural Earth Data Then you can select the countries you are interested in to make a new data layer and digitize a point where you want it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.