I have been tasked with building a disconnected, web-based mapping application. It must run in a browser, but it will run on a disconnected Windows based laptop. It needs to be able to do simple map displays as well as display of objects on map and historical displays of the route of an object. Does anyone have any suggestions about a particular software solution? I am guessing that I will have to install some sort of mapping server software that has all of the mapping information and then also build a web-based client that accesses the local mapping server software. Does that make sense?
UPDATE: Here are more detail about the rough system requirements.
- The finished application will be web-based (runs in a browser)
- The entire system will be disconnected from the internet. So it can't rely on any internet-based mapping system like Google Maps.
- The main screen will display a map of the earth. It needs to show basic country boundaries but there is no requirement for any other information.
- The user should be able to zoom in and out. There will be some zoom limits although I don't know exactly what they are. The application is displaying flight paths for airplanes so hopefully that gives you some idea of the zoom needs.
- The default view will keep the icon for the airplane centered and the map will move beneath.
- The user should also be able to pan the map in any direction and then return to having the airplane icon centered.
- The system will need to be able to dynamically load some overlay maps that display some polygon type shapes.
- The main screen will also have text areas that display other types of information such as current airplane location, etc.
- Ideally the mapping software would be easily integrated using C# and ASP.NET
These are the basic rough requirements. I have done a LOT of searching on the web for a solution. Most of the mapping software applications that I have found seem to be overkill. They are complex GIS systems that cost lots of money. I just need a simple mapping application like Google Maps that works offline and allows for the integration functions that I have outlined above. Does anyone have any recommendations?
(I mistakenly started a new question that is basically the same thing as this. Here is a link to the second question: Looking for web-based mapping software recommendation)