The US government publishes a plethora of useful, high-quality GIS data sources online.
The data includes:
- Municipal and international boundaries
- Classified points of interest
- Geographic maps
- Climate charts
- Air transportation maps
- ...and so much more, in the US and outside it.
Unfortunately, the data is located in dozens of different web sites, each belonging to a separate agency. This community wiki aims to list all the known official US data sources available on the web.
Answers should probably include:
- Site name & link
- Agency name and description
- Coverage (US \ International)
- Short description of available data
- Update date (if applicable\relevant)
- Comments about quality or experience with the data
- One data source per answer