I have a big list of addresses of businesses that I am trying to "normalize".
What keeps happening is that, every now and then I verify the address of the place by going to their website and all too often, what is within my database as "100 Forest Park Drive # 100" is really "100 Forest Park Drive Suite 100"
I have not yet come across any entry where I have it written as Suite which is in reality #
I am not an expert, but it seems to me, that the # sign is interchangeable with "Suite".
Maybe the experts can chime in, and help me. In your experience, are there are any places where I better leave the # sign intact, instead of running a sql replace function to # to Suite.
Some research I have conducted in google suggests to me, that even USPS suggest that I only use # in absense of an Apartment, or Suite. And it just seems to be that Suite is more likely in a business environment, since if a business leases a space within a building, it would be more likely called a "Suite".
As an evidence, when I used to live in an apartment, if I used Suite instead of 123 SW apartment drive suite 20 the mail was delivered correctly to me 100% of the time.
As an added bonus, Suite looks much cleaner.
I should have added that I already have all of these addresses geocoded, and the use case is not to be used as a mailer of any form. Simply as search.
And I did not intent to purely use find a replace. Running regular expressions on my address strings is how I discovered the issue in the first place when I started to discover many variations.
Take for example: 5619 DTC Parkway, Greenwood Village, CO
I have three businesses on this address in my database and the format that they use.
- Podoll & Podoll (Suite 400)
- EPS Settlements Group (Suite 600)
- Frank Patternson and Associates. (# 1100)
The data in the parenthesis is a exact copy of the information on their website and my database. (Suite & #)