Using ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop of Home Use (ArcInfo license I believe), I'm getting results like this using the included Maplex labelling engine:
Placement is curved. [Try horizontal position first box is unchecked.]
Strategy order for fitting is:
- Stack Label - default settings
- Reduce label in size - Font is 12 pt Arial, lower limit set to 1 pts, step interval is 1.1 pts. Font Width compression is at default (90% lower limit & 5% step interval).
- Abbreviate Label - not enabled
- Overrun feature - not enabled
- Compress label in width - not sure if this enabled or not.
The region "Steamboat - Hilltop 16" is properly labeled. As long as the entirety of that text is within the polygon in question I don't care how it might be stacked.
The region "Steamboat - Mountain 17" (directly below Hilltop 16 and to the left) is incorrectly labeled. It has written the "- 17" underneath the Mountain and is unreadable.
This didn't happen using Maplex in ArcGIS 10. Is there anyway to stop this behavior?