Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In different publications I read sometimes CSW or sometimes CS-W for the standard of transferring metadata-documents. What is the correct 'official' spelling?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's CSW. Look here for more information about it than is healthy for one person to read.

Funnily enough in the spec, the abbreviations section has:

CSW Catalogue Service-Web

So I can see where the hyphenated version comes from, but I've not noticed it in any official documentation.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.