I have the following requirements to manage raster data
1) Convert raster-maps from BSB format to PNG or GeoTIFF
2) Cut the borders of the map
3) Merge individual maps to form a contiguous coverage map
4) Tile them for caching and loading
5) Serve them up on a WMS service to clients.
I am using OpenLayers->GeoServer->PostGIS stack to manage all my vector data. I have been thinking of loading, storing & retrieve raster data the same way (in PostGIS).
So my questions are
1) What is the benefit of storing rasters in DB over doing this in the file system?
2) What are the steps to achieve this and what tools/ commands I would use?
3) Would I leverage the DB cache or would I still need a tile-cache ?
4) What are the bugs/ gotchas in PostGIS raster handling that I need to watch out for?