I am hoping to create a point grid over the city of Edmonton. My workflow is:
- Import a KML of Edmonton neighborhoods from here
- Save the layer as a SHP
- Delete the layer and load the SHP
- Define the layer and project CRS as NAD 83 (HARN)
- Use the Vector > Research Tool > Regular Points tool to generate a grid of points over the geometry with a spacing of 500m.
- Save the output and load into the project.
- The output is a single point to the NW of the neighbourhood polygons.
I have been around this several time and am at a loss.