Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a geotiff file that has no CRS in the metadata but I know that the CRS of the raster is WGS 84 UTM 22 N. How can I modify the geotiff file to have the CRS WGS 84 UTM 22 N in the metadata.

Best Regards

share|improve this question
what kind of tools you want to use? And manually or by scripting? – najuste Oct 8 '12 at 9:12

There are various ways depending on the software you use and you want to do it manually or scripting..

With ArcGIS it's simply in Arc Catalog clicking on the dataset with right button to access Properties- At the place of Sp.Reference you can edit it and set to your desired one (but it's just when you really know that the coordinates and extent of ur data is from that coordinate system, but it just wasn't set).
More explained in Esri help.

With open source GDAL you can use the tool called: GDAL warp

share|improve this answer
OK thanks I've used Arcgis and that did the Job :-) – Thomas Oct 8 '12 at 11:16
Hi @Thomas - welcome to GIS.stackexchange! If this answer worked for you, you should select it as 'correct' by selecting the check-mark just below the score count at the top of the answer. See here for background on how voting and acceptance work. – Simbamangu Oct 8 '12 at 12:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.