Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

IS there an offset function in qgis similar to that in autocad for polygons. I have an irregular shaped pollygon which i want to offset at 100m out from the edges, effectively adding 100m out each time.

I can do it buffering but does not show the exact shape.

share|improve this question
Does this mean that you'd like to effectively increase the size of the polygon, without changing its shape? Around some central point? – Simbamangu Oct 19 '12 at 11:14
I'm with - Simbamangu - the question isn't clear. An offset is where you move an item, so you'd offset it +100 on the X axis and the entire polygon would move 100m to the right. What you want to do is probably called something else (don't know what though). – GIS-Jonathan Oct 19 '12 at 11:38
I get what your saying, sadly I've not found this function it in QGIS, I'm sure that it'll come though. Its not the easiest thing to explain is offsetting. But imagine that you have two polygons or lines which are the same shape (a boundary for example).To show that two features occupy the same location in ArcMap (at least) you can offset one of the features so that you can see it side by side to the other feature. I've not found offsetting in QGIS yet but would either welcome it or would like to hear where its to be found. – geosmiles Oct 20 '12 at 19:01
It is called offset in Autocad was my point. Simbamangu had the jist of it. Med you were spot on. – Ger Nov 12 '12 at 12:27

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.