Take the 2-minute tour ×
Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a PostGIS (v 2.0) layer representing lakes. The attributes "chinchar" and "chintrans" contain Chinese characters and Pinyin (Roman) characters in UTF8 format. When I use Layer -> Labeling in QGIS, this works very well to name the lakes in about 90% of the cases, but the remaining 10% refuse to display a label. I am using the following string for "Label this layer with...":

"chinchar" || '\n' || "chintrans"

The new labeling system seems to be very good and I would hate to go back to the "old" labeling techniques of defining a separate column in the table or defining a view in PostGIS. Thanks for any ideas...

share|improve this question
    
Can you provide samples that work and some that don't? –  underdark Nov 7 '12 at 7:06
    
Apologies Underdark, I deleted the offending PostGIS entries before reading your reply. Thanks for getting back to me though and I've learned lots through your blog and contributions to this site... –  Sartor Nov 7 '12 at 16:23
add comment

closed as too localized by underdark Dec 7 '12 at 17:37

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

1 Answer

The PostGIS polygons that refused to display labels were somehow corrupt, though they displayed correctly as polygons. So I deleted them and re-digitized (thanks Trace Edit!) and re-entered the name data. Would have been useful to have had some way of indicating polygon corruption though...

share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.