Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We are in the process of getting our property boundaries corrected and a side effect of this is that we need to move any assets that have been drawn relative to the property boundaries, so they are still inline correctly.

The company that does the property corrections gives us shift vectors and we normally run all our layers though FME using the vectors to correct the locations.

I was wondering if there is anything like this in GRASS or QGIS or anything free.

share|improve this question

In GRASS you can use v.transform for this on vector data: Performs an affine transformation (shift, scale and rotate, or GPCs) on vector map.

share|improve this answer
Isn't an affline transformation a uniform shift? I believe rubber sheeting is more of a distortion based on a number of different vectors. – Damien Nov 16 '11 at 0:15
In GRASS 7 there is now also a new tool v.rectify: v.rectify uses control points to calculate a 2D or 3D transformation matrix based on a first, second, or third order polynomial ( – markusN Mar 3 '12 at 5:28

There's a plugin within QGIS called GDAL Georeferencer which works well, it provides a graphical interface for entering and fitting control points to a raster— under the hood, it just uses GDAL, which supports the addition of control points to a raster with gdal_translate, then warping to a new output with gdalwarp, e.g. if I had a set of control points, each could be specified with a -gcp pixel line easting northing entry:

gdal_translate -gcp 2.2 7.7 -1.9 0.66 [...-gcp x y rx ry] i.tif i-w-refs.tif

Then warped with the appropriate transformation and resampling method:

gdalwarp -r near -order 2 i-w-refs.tif i-warped.tif
share|improve this answer
It seems the question is about vector data. However, Thanks for the detail. I always want more information about gdal. – Brad Nesom Dec 8 '10 at 14:52
Ah, you're right -- I misread the question and this answer would be appropriate for a georeferencing question but not necessarily here... – scw Dec 8 '10 at 22:55

You can use OpenJump "Deformation tool" in batch or incremental mode

share|improve this answer

We're looking for long answers that provide some explanation and context. Don't just give a one-line answer; explain why your answer is right, ideally with citations. Answers that don't include explanations may be removed.

Welcome to our site! Please don't be discouraged if this reply doesn't get much attention: the thread is old and has many answers already. Take a stab at answering some of the newer questions and see what kind of results that gets :-). – whuber Jul 8 '11 at 19:49

QGis now has a plugin called Vector Bender, which can spatially adjust Vector Data.

You can see it in action in this Video:

Presentation of Vector Bender from red on Vimeo.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.