I've got an Arc/Info Binary Grid---specifically, an ArcGIS flow accumulation raster---and I'd like to identify all cells having a specific value (or in a range of values). Ultimately, I'd like a shapefile of points representing these cells.
I can use QGIS to open the hdr.adf and get this result, the workflow is:
- QGIS > Raster menu > Raster Calculator (mark all points with target value)
- QGIS > Raster menu > Polygonize
- QGIS > Vector menu > Geometry submenu > Polygon centroids
- Edit the centroids to delete the unwanted poly centroids (those = 0)
This approach "does the job", but it doesn't appeal to me because it creates 2 files I have to delete, then I have to remove unwanted record(s) from the shapefile of centroids (i.e. those = 0).
An existing question approaches this subject, but it's tailored for ArcGIS/ArcPy, and I'd like to stay in the FOSS space.
Does anyone have an existing GDAL/Python recipe/script that interrogates a raster's cell values, and when a target value---or a value in a target range---is found, a record is added to a shapefile? This would not only avoid the UI interaction, but it would create a clean result in a single pass.
I took a shot at it by working against one of Chris Garrard's presentations, but raster work isn't in my wheelhouse and I don't want to clutter the question with my weak code.
Should anyone want the exact dataset to play with, I put it here as a .zip. Thanks for any help!
[Edit Notes] Leaving this behind for posterity. See comment exchanges with om_henners. Basically the x/y (row/column) values were flipped. The original answer had this line:
(y_index, x_index) = np.nonzero(a == 1000)
inverted, like this:
(x_index, y_index) = np.nonzero(a == 1000)
When I first encountered the issue illustrated in the screenshot, I wondered if I implemented the geometry incorrectly, and I experimented by flipping the x/y coordinate values in this line:
point.SetPoint(0, x, y)
point.SetPoint(0, y, x)
However that didn't work. And I didn't think to try flipping the values in om_henners' Numpy expression, believing wrongly that flipping them at either line was equivalent. I think the real issue relates to the
y_size values, respectively
-30, which are applied when the row and column indices are used to calculate point coordinates for the cells.
@om_henners, I'm trying your solution, in concert with a couple recipies for making point shapefiles using ogr (invisibleroads.com, Chris Garrard), but I'm having an issue where the points are appearing as if reflected across a line passing through 315/135-degrees.
Light blue points: created by my QGIS approach, above
Purple points: created by the GDAL/OGR py code, below
This Python code implements the complete solution as proposed by @om_henners. I've tested it and it works. Thanks man!
from osgeo import gdal import numpy as np import osgeo.ogr import osgeo.osr path = "D:/GIS/greeneCty/Greene_DEM/GreeneDEM30m/flowacc_gree/hdr.adf" print "\nOpening: " + path + "\n" r = gdal.Open(path) band = r.GetRasterBand(1) (upper_left_x, x_size, x_rotation, upper_left_y, y_rotation, y_size) = r.GetGeoTransform() a = band.ReadAsArray().astype(np.float) # This evaluation makes x/y arrays for all cell values in a range. # I knew how many points I should get for ==1000 and wanted to test it. (y_index, x_index) = np.nonzero((a > 999) & (a < 1001)) # This evaluation makes x/y arrays for all cells having the fixed value, 1000. #(y_index, x_index) = np.nonzero(a == 1000) # DEBUG: take a look at the arrays.. #print repr((y_index, x_index)) # Init the shapefile stuff.. srs = osgeo.osr.SpatialReference() #srs.ImportFromProj4('+proj=utm +zone=15 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs') srs.ImportFromWkt(r.GetProjection()) driver = osgeo.ogr.GetDriverByName('ESRI Shapefile') shapeData = driver.CreateDataSource('D:/GIS/01_tutorials/flow_acc/ogr_pts.shp') layer = shapeData.CreateLayer('ogr_pts', srs, osgeo.ogr.wkbPoint) layerDefinition = layer.GetLayerDefn() # Iterate over the Numpy points.. i = 0 for x_coord in x_index: x = x_index[i] * x_size + upper_left_x + (x_size / 2) #add half the cell size y = y_index[i] * y_size + upper_left_y + (y_size / 2) #to centre the point # DEBUG: take a look at the coords.. #print "Coords: " + str(x) + ", " + str(y) point = osgeo.ogr.Geometry(osgeo.ogr.wkbPoint) point.SetPoint(0, x, y) feature = osgeo.ogr.Feature(layerDefinition) feature.SetGeometry(point) feature.SetFID(i) layer.CreateFeature(feature) i += 1 shapeData.Destroy() print "done! " + str(i) + " points found!"