Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a service that allows me to draw on an OpenLayers map, and see the resulting GeoJSON?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You could use something like jsfiddle or jsbin and manipulate the map using javascript, eg

This will allow you to make live changes and see them on the map in the same window.

share|improve this answer
Exactly what I needed, thank you. – wulfgarpro Dec 6 '12 at 6:12

Your question is a bit ambiguous. Are you looking for an existing service, or want to create one? Or are you trying to set something up for your users to output GeoJSON?

OpenLayers natively supports GeoJSON and can write to it as well. You should look at this example and see how they write out to different formats. It won't be difficult at all to extend and add GeoJSOn to the dropdown.

share|improve this answer
I'm looking for an existing service. – wulfgarpro Dec 6 '12 at 0:01
then why Openlayers if you're really just after GeoJSON output? – Vadim Dec 6 '12 at 0:47
Any visualisation would be fine - as long as I can draw a polygon and be given the GeoJSON representation. – wulfgarpro Dec 6 '12 at 1:43

You can do this in QGIS. You need to first download and install it, and then install the Openlayers plugin. Add a layer from OpenLayers and zoom to your area of interest (it can sometimes take a few seconds to load and update the layer). Then, you can create a new vector layer, click on the editor icon, and draw over the basemap. You can then save your layer as a GeoJson (right click on layer, and choose GeoJson).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.