Part of my job is to analyze certain portions of road for our clients. A client will ask, I want to look at Road A from parcel XYZ to parcel RST and Road B from parcel RST to parcel OPQ.
The way I do this currently is:
- I select the road line layer around the parcels
- Save the selection as a new shp layer
- edit, trim, the layer as needed
- produce a new shp that matches the client's request.
- We analyze the hell out of the road
The reason I do selection/save as is that, in future when road geometry changes we will still have the original requested road. The problem I find with this is that by the end of the year, i have 100+ mini layers of road segments.
What are the issues in my process, and how can I improve on them?