I am hoping some of you experts out there can list the pro's and con's of various spatial ETL (extract, transform, load) tools. If you have used these items listed here (or add your own), please share your opinions and experiences. In particular I would like to see usability comparisons of:
- Safe Software FME (proprietary)
- ArcGIS Data Interoperability Extension (proprietary, subset of FME features)
- Talend Spatial extension (previously Spatial Data Integrator) (open source)
- GeoKettle (open source)
- ogr2ogr (I don't know that it is truly ETL, but more of a file translation toolset)
- Any additional lot listed
Please don't feel like you have to give a review of ALL software's mentioned. You're experience with even one will be very beneficial in making a decision about which direction to go. Thanks!
Example: I am looking to create a schema conversion function that will allow me to select the input layer, create a translation, and output to a new, pre-defined schema. Optimally, after creating the translation script, I would like to have an interactive form where I can "map" fields in my input layer to the output layer (ie- The output layer will have a field called "Address", what is it called in the input layer?)
Some were mentioned in the discussion at:
And here are a couple of related articles that I found.