I have a question with regard to plotting a choropleth map. What is recommended with regard to plotting a map with custom breaks? And make it look a bit attractive.
In my script I have used the plot and spplot command to visualize some data but I am not entirely happy with the result. It is easy to see why. Using spplot I get a colour ramp that repeats colours for different values which is a bit weird. Using plot with the custom breaks I have not been able to make better intervals for the values, such that for instance zero-values are white on the map. The skewed proportions between legend and map are I think probably the result of Rstudio.
So I wondered whether someone has better suggestions for plotting choropleth maps in R using custom breaks?
As suggested I have used ggplot2 for creating a choropleth map. I've used the code below. I encountered two problems. One is that after fortifying the data not all data from the shapefile is transferred to the data frame. So I have to rename the "id" variable such that I can merge the data. Minor issue.
A bigger issue is that despite the fact that the data in the dataframe is correct, the ggplot shows a map where the data is incorrect. The colour value according to the legend does not correspond with the value of the variable in the data. Am I overlooking something here?
# Plotting polygon shapefiles (try-out) # Load the packages require(rgdal) require(maptools) require(ggplot2) gpclibPermit() # required for the fortify method # Load the shapefile africa=readOGR("/home/GIS",layer="africaII") names(africa) # Load the data on conflict conflict<-read.csv("africa_conflict.csv", header=TRUE) names(conflict) # Merge the data together africadat<-merge(africa, conflict, by="ISO3") # Changing the data in the shapefile africa@data <- africadat # Fortify so that ggplot can plot africa.points = fortify(africa,region="ISO3") # Change "id" to "ISO3"such that the datasets can be merged again names(africa.points)[names(africa.points)=="id"]<-"ISO3" africa.df=merge(africa.points,africadat,by="ISO3") # Plot the data ggplot(africa.df) + aes(long,lat,group=group) + geom_polygon(aes(fill =onset))+ geom_path(color="white") + coord_equal()