Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a point shapefile representing settlements. I want to calculate the density of settlement per 100 square kilometers. Should I use point or kernel density? I am working with ArcGIS. Is there any way to achieve this directly from the density analysis, or is there another way?

share|improve this question
Do you already have the area of interest as a polygon or area? Or are you wanting to calculate an area based off the points (i.e., convex hull)? – Baltok Feb 19 '13 at 20:13
@Baltok I already have an area of interest which is a polygon representing an administrative unit. I also specified it in Environments>Raster Analysis>Mask. – Cezar B Feb 19 '13 at 20:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.