I have one of my GIS technicians digitizing some lines in QGIS in shapefile format. I don't know how he did it (and neither does he), but somehow the shapefile became corrupt. It was creating random lines or some of the lines he created would just disappear. I went in into ArcCatalogue to see how it looked in ArcGIS and this is what I saw:
Notice the question mark icon where I should see a shapefile 'line' icon. Obviously ArcCatalogue cannot read this file. Also, a second dbf file seemed to have been created with the '_packed' attached to the end. When I look at the shapefile using Windows explorer, I see that there already is a .dbf for the shapefile 'M3_PRE_SMU_lines_10Apr13_SMC.dbf', so I don't know where this _packed shapefile came from and I can't seem to find anything online that speaks to it.
I tried to add this file into ArcMap and I receieved the following error:
The error is pretty self explanatory...number of shapes does not match the number of records. I just don't know why that is occuring. There doesn't seem to be anything online that explains how this is occurring in QGIS, but I do see a couple repair tools. I actually repaired this myself by just opening QGIS, adding the layer, and then right clicking on the layer and 'saving as' another shapefile. So, I've figured a work around, but I'm hoping to find a solution that will stop this from occurring in the first place. Thanks, Mike