I realize that I've asked two similar questions recently, but following suggestions in the comment chain, I'll make this a separate question (separate as it is not the no output problem in ArcPy: (SearchCursor/export to tiff ) with no output or the produces empty feature problem described Arcpy: SQL error in select_analysis produces empty feature). To be clear, the question is explicitly stated as: How to print a .pdf layout for each record that meets a where clause.
Based on suggestions from @PolyGeo, I'm trying the approach of using a definitionQuery to get the values and then a combination of a search cursor with a panToExtent to print each record. Here is the code:
import arcpy mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("C:\\temp\\Graffiti_DM1.mxd") df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "*") outpdf="C:\\temp\\1003_zip4.pdf" where_clause='"Incident_Z" = ' + "'10033'" graffitidata="C:\\temp\\itscomplicated.shp" cursor = arcpy.UpdateCursor(graffitidata) graffitilyr=arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "itscomplicated", df) graffitilyr.definitionQuery=where_clause for cur in cursor: cur.rotation = "0" cur.scale = "1000" outFile = expdir + "\\" + cur.name + ".pdf" cur.panToExtent(graffitilyr.getSelectedExtent()) arcpy.mapping.ExportToPDF(mxd,outpdf) del cursor
However, I'm running into the following problem.
Traceback (most recent call last): File "C:\temp\defquery_for_in.py", line 15, in <module> cur.rotation = "0" File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\arcpy\arcpy\arcobjects\_base.py", line 35, in __setattr__ return setattr(self._arc_object, attr, ao) RuntimeError: ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
If anyone has any suggestions concerning the above error, or suggestions concerning the general setup of the code (specifically the addition of the search cursor within the where clause) I'd be greatly appreciateive.
This is the current version of what I'm working with as suggested by @PolyGeo, however it is producing pdfs that have the layout but no data (see comment below).
import arcpy mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("C:\\temp\\Graffiti_DM1.mxd") df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "*") graffitilyr=arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "itscomplicated", df) where_clause = '"Incident_Z" = ' + "'10003'" graffitilyr.definitionQuery=where_clause features = arcpy.SearchCursor(graffitilyr) count = 1 for feature in features: df.rotation = "0" df.extent = graffitilyr.getSelectedExtent(True) df.scale = "1000" outpdf="C:\\temp\\" + str(count) + ".pdf" arcpy.mapping.ExportToPDF(mxd,outpdf) count = count+1 del features