What are the pros and cons of different data formats (performance, file size, etc.) when considering open data distribution?
Our organisation wants to publish data as open data. However, there is no clear idea on which data formats to use. Ofcourse, the more 'open' a data format is, the easier it is to use.
Which data formats are the most 'open' and therefore most usable for the distribution of Open Data when taking the following types in consideration?:
- raster data (I'm thinking: GeoTIFF, Erdas Imagine IMG?)
- vector data (I'm thinking: GML, CSV, ESRI Shapefile, DXF?)
- tabular data (I'm thinking: CSV?)
- 3D data (I'm thinking: CityGML?)
- 3D point coulds / LIDAR (I'm thinking: LAS?)
- am I forgetting something here?
Also, if there is documentation about open data formats I'm very interested if you would like to share.