Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've downloaded RFE data from FEWSNET. It's a compressed file which includes .bil files.

Now i want to convert this ".bil image" into a grid to use the precipitation data in an area.

I'm using ArcGIS.

How do i do it?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I just tested this this using ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 and was able to convert a BIL file downloaded from FEWSNET to a GRID format using the Raster To Other Format (Conversion) tool.

I downloaded and unzipped the ZIP file to find the BIL file, then opened the tool.

I chose the BIL file as my Input Raster, and set the Output Workspace to a folder where I had write access (C:\temp) and the Raster Format (for output) to GRID.

share|improve this answer
I've used the "raster to other format" tool. choosed the file in .bil which i want to convert. choosed the output format "GRID". the problem remains at the "output workspace". it returns the following message:"the object named '...' could not be found". whats wrong? – Josimar Aug 28 '13 at 9:22
I just tested converting a *.jpg to GRID raster format and it worked perfectly. Any folder where you have write access should be usable as the output workspace. In my case I wrote it to C:\temp. – PolyGeo Aug 28 '13 at 10:53
Well i dont know. Maybe its just because this *.bil format. have you tested one of the FEWSNET rainfall estimate (RFE) compressed files? – Josimar Aug 28 '13 at 12:10
I just tested one of the FEWSNET *.bil files using the same technique and it worked fine too. I am using ArcGIS 10.2 for my testing. – PolyGeo Aug 28 '13 at 21:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.