Sign up ×
Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What do the two curly graphics to the left and right of this map represent? They are the only two on the map and seem to be attached to the border of an area.

enter image description here

I'm sorry I haven't posted the full map, I'm not sure I'm allowed.

share|improve this question
Do you mean the things that sort of look like a J ? You'll have to give more information about the map. who made it? when was it published? Things like that. – Devdatta Tengshe Sep 10 '13 at 4:46
Yes, @DevdattaTengshe. Originally published around 1900 in New Zealand. – Jake Sep 10 '13 at 4:47

1 Answer 1

up vote 18 down vote accepted

The curly S shaped symbol, called an "area brace symbol" was used to indicate that the two properties actually share the same property number. It's possible that it was all once considered one property but the middle bit was subdivided and the two properties on the side maintain the same number.

They are also sometimes called "field ties". There's another name for it, but it escapes me at the moment.

EDIT: I just remembered that this is sometimes called a "Vinculum". Though, I don't know how common it is.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. That makes sense as the two areas have the same outline style too. I think in this case a lot of smaller properties around the central one were merged but are not physically connected. – Jake Sep 10 '13 at 20:15
Another term for them is "land hooks". – Scro Feb 7 '14 at 4:37

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.