Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm wondering if there's a way to intersect two polygon layers, take the intersection, and remove that from one of the polygon layers, making a new layer out of whatever is left over? Basically, the idea I have is one of "punching holes" in a map of Africa where the holes are points around which I construct some sort of buffer. I have QGIS and ArcGIS 10.0. Is there a built-in or user created script for this?

share|improve this question

It sounds like you want Symmetric Difference

wikipedia symmetric difference diagram

In ArcGIS you could use the Symmetrical Difference tool

QGIS has it too:

QGIS Interface

share|improve this answer

Using ArcGIS Desktop:

This sounds like the Symmetrical Difference (Analysis) tool which requires an Advanced license.

If you need to do this using a Basic or Standard license then use Union instead, and Select out just those features with attributes from one or other but not both input feature classes.

Also, the "punching holes" term suggests that Erase may also do what you require but once again you need an Advanced license. A key difference between it and Symmetrical Difference (and Union) is that attributes of only one input are retained in the output.

share|improve this answer
Good that you mentioned Erase. That seems to be the answer. – 0kcats Dec 14 '13 at 18:28
Thanks guys. This helps a lot. – Ben Thompson Dec 16 '13 at 5:06

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.