Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking at applying a direction indicator to land parcels and houses (in MasterMap).

effectively, I am looking at applying a direction indicator to the land and the buildings associated to the land (NW-SE, N-S, E-W etc). Is there an easy way to do this?

I guess you'd need to also find the direction of the road it was situated on for completeness?

share|improve this question
Would you mind explaining what a "direction indicator" might be? – whuber Apr 8 '11 at 15:51
For users outside the UK - MasterMap is a product from Ordnance Survey -… – Mapperz Apr 8 '11 at 16:17
@whuber What I mean by this, is its aspect, as such, which way does the front and rear of the property face; is it NE-SW lying, etc. – Hairy Apr 11 '11 at 12:29
up vote 1 down vote accepted

ITN (Integrated Transport Network) has line direction for the ROADS

but for houses/land parcels there is no way - you can add an arrow direction to the digitised line but that will only be the direction the operator drew the original linework to make the parcel polygon.

possible workaround: create a centroid of the parcel and apply a direction arrow to that?

This can be done in ArcGIS Calculate Polygon Main Angle (Cartography)

Calculates the dominant angles of input polygon features and assigns the values to a specified field in the feature class

share|improve this answer

You might start with this answer. It sounds like the question is close anyway.

share|improve this answer
You seem to have lost the link in your reply. – whuber Apr 8 '11 at 15:51
+1 assuming you think Mapperz answer looks best for this. – Kirk Kuykendall Apr 8 '11 at 17:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.