Take the 2-minute tour ×
Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am using ArcGIS software I have a Feature Class layer that represent a Grid network, which consists of rectangles that covers all the areas. I want to use it to generate another feature class layer with smaller grid, by dividing each rectangle into 4 quarters. What is the best way to do it with ESRI software? is there a geoprocessing tool that can do that?

share|improve this question
Have you looked at Create Fishnet? –  Barbarossa Feb 20 at 21:14
Can you edit your Question to clarify whether it is a feature class or a raster (grid) dataset that you are trying to create, please? –  PolyGeo Feb 20 at 22:10
I added more description –  gkar Feb 21 at 0:19

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I suggest, as @Barbarossa said you try Create Fishnet, however, here is another approach you may like: Imagine you have a grid network like some panels shown here:Grid Network

Use Feature To Point (Data Management) to create the centroids of the polygons/ panels. Make sure the inside option box is checked. Then you should get something like this:enter image description here

Make a copy of your grid network, select all the features and move it as shown here (you have to turn on snapping and move the selection center to the starting point of the arrow) :enter image description here

Finally intersect the two grid networks and you should get such a result:enter image description here

share|improve this answer
That is a smart way to do it. but I didn't know how to do snap the corner to the point. When I enable snapping I can snap the point layer to the edge of the polygon, but it doesn't do it for the vertics on the lower left corner. –  gkar Feb 22 at 22:51
When you select the panels, you see a small "x" in the center of your selection. You have to hold Ctrl and move it to the starting point of the arrow. Then you will be able to move the selected panels to the desired point. –  Arash Feb 22 at 23:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.