Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Would someone care to recommend a free and/or open source GIS application that can orthorectify map images?

share|improve this question

migrated from May 5 '11 at 19:13

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

For orthorectification:

In GRASS see
In OSSIM, see OSSIMOrthos.pdf

For georeferencing:

In Quantum GIS, use the Georeferencing plugin, p 172 of the users guide.
There is even an online tool for georeferencing at

share|improve this answer
And just remember that you will need an elevation datasets such as a DEM to rectify the imagery to. – jvangeld May 5 '11 at 20:16

INPE in Brazil (National Institute of Spatial Research) has an software called Marlin used for some raster data processing. It's known Marlin can orthorectify, tough I don't know how to proceed. But it's free.INPE also develops the SPRING software. It a GIS suite that can orthorectify and it's free as well.

But unfortunately, those two softwares are not open-source.

share|improve this answer

Qgis or Grass or uDIG ... For each of these software look into the plugins and 3rd party plugins as well

share|improve this answer
Note that only GRASS GIS supports it, in this suggestion it is used as extension in QGIS or uDIG. – markusN May 6 '11 at 13:51

Orfeo Toolbox has some tools for orthorectification, mainly for satellite images (using the RPC information), and it is an open source image processing library. It uses on OSSIM. It can be embedded in QGIS, but it has its own GUI (Monteverdi) as well as command line applications.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.