Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Many paper maps have an effect around the borders where there is a gradient from the darker color of the borderline to the lighter color of the area fill. What is this effect called?

See for an example.


share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

They are called "Tint Bands". Here's some tutorials on how to re-create them in GIS software:

share|improve this answer

I've always heard it referred to as 'verge', I sit next to an old-school cartographer who has made maps using antiquated techniques (manual drafting of maps) and that's the word he uses.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.