Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for cartographers, geographers and GIS professionals. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I drew a layer on Autocad and exported it to a shapefile. I edited this layer on Arcmap. After editing the layer it is corrupted. I use Shapechk to fix it however I will need to edit plenty of layers and shapechk wouldn't be practical for me.i need an automated method

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by PolyGeo, whuber Jun 3 '14 at 20:50

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

So it works properly but you are looking for a batch solution, maybe something somewhat automated? – Paul Jun 3 '14 at 12:17
So, is there a question here? I can't tell what you want. Is your corrupted shapefile after editing repeatable? Does it corrupt every shapefile or just the one? Etc., etc. – Baltok Jun 3 '14 at 12:35
Are you sure the shapefile wasn't created in a non-conformant form, even before modifying it in Desktop? – Vince Jun 3 '14 at 13:43
To which "tool" do you refer: AutoCAD, ArcMap, or Shapechk? – whuber Jun 3 '14 at 20:50
Shape files go bad quickly, especially if edited over network, because there is many files to update they are prone to locking with virus checker, another application looking at it etc.. Import into file geodatabase and edit there - much more stable. – Michael Miles-Stimson Jun 3 '14 at 22:12

Before using shapechck, you can use the "repair geometry" tool in Arcmap. Right-click on it to launch it in batch mode.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.