GPSBabel is free software for GPS file management and runs on Windows, Linux and OSX. Its basic capabilities are:
- Download and upload of data from/to a GPS unit. Garmin, Magellan and other makes are supported for serial and USB transfer.
- Conversion between over 100 GPS and spatial file formats, including the open source GPX standard, ESRI shapefiles, and most of the major formats used by GPS manufacturers.
GPSBabel is a command-line application but there are several GUI frontends for each operating system (gebabel, HoudahGPS).
A number of spatial and filtering operations can be performed during conversion and processing, including:
- Simplification, reducing a track to a smaller number of points;
- Filtering to remove waypoints, trackpoints or routes;
- Removal of duplicate points;
- Filtering by spatial location, including points, lines and polygons.