ORFEO Toolbox (OTB) is distributed as an open source library of image processing algorithms. OTB is based on the medical image processing library ITK and offers particular functionalities for remote sensing image processing in general and for high spatial resolution images in particular. Targeted algorithms for high resolution optical images (Pléiades, SPOT, QuickBird, WorldView, Landsat, Ikonos), hyperspectral sensors (Hyperion) or SAR (TerraSarX, ERS, Palsar) are available.
Among other, OTB provides a number of heavily documented functionalities as:
- Image access: optimized read/write access for most of remote sensing image formats, meta-data access, visualization
- Standard remote sensing preprocessing: radiometric corrections, orthorectification
- Filtering: blurring, denoising, enhancement
- Feature extraction: interest points, alignments, lines
- Image segmentation: region growing, watershed, level sets, mean-shift;
- Classification: K-means, Markov random fields, SVM and all LibSVM and access to OpenCV Machine Learning classifiers
- Change detection
- Stereo reconstruction
- Information extraction for integration in GIS and mapping systems
The project had been initiated by the French space agency (CNES) in 2006.
Source: Orfeo Toolbox Homepage.