I have a shapefile that I created of points on each structure and address in the city. We have been working in ArcMap Desktop for 6 or 7 years and depend heavily on being able to simply go to "find", type in the address then zoom to it. I have seen a "Zoom To Feature" plugin mentioned throughout QGIS Texts but I cannot find it using internet search. Does anyone know where I can find the "Quick Find" or "Zoom to Features" plugin?
Sure it is. Depending on what you need:
zoom to whole layer
- right click on layer in Layers list and first item is "Zoom to layer"
zoom to selected feature(s)
- select feature in map and click on icon "Zoom to selection" in the main toolbar
- or right click on layer in layers list and choose "Open Attribute Table" (there is also icon in the main toolbar/attributes section for it), search for(Select feature using expression)/select feature and click on "Zoom map to selected"
pan map to selection
- after selecting your feature click on icon "Pan map to selection" in the main toolbar
Quick Finder plugin
- Quickly find features over all layers and online services, from a single place. (Plugins/Manage and install plugins - serch for Quick Finder)
Also for searching streets/locations in the whole world there is GeoSearch plugin which uses Google service to find/zoom to known locations. (Plugins/Manage and install plugins)
I believe QGIS is very well made for easy learning including doc and great community support.
For commands in QGIS open "Plugins/Python Console". But well, you need to learn python command first. Sure there are awful many including "zoom to selected feature".
Since you mentioned address search, you might be interested in the search plugins using Nominatim to geocode addresses: OSM place search or osmSearch