Sure it is. Depending on what you need:
zoom to whole layer
- right click on layer in Layers list and first item is "Zoom to layer"
zoom to selected feature(s)
- select feature in map and click on icon "Zoom to selection" in the main toolbar
- or right click on layer in layers list and choose "Open Attribute Table" (there is also icon in the main toolbar/attributes section for it), search for(Select feature using expression)/select feature and click on "Zoom map to selected"
pan map to selection
- after selecting your feature click on icon "Pan map to selection" in the main toolbar
Quick Finder plugin
- Quickly find features over all layers and online services, from a single place. (Plugins/Manage and install plugins - serch for Quick Finder)
Also for searching streets/locations in the whole world there is GeoSearch plugin which uses Google service to find/zoom to known locations. (Plugins/Manage and install plugins)
I believe QGIS is very well made for easy learning including doc and great community support.
For commands in QGIS open "Plugins/Python Console". But well, you need to learn python command first. Sure there are awful many including "zoom to selected feature".