Creating watershed maps for schools. I want to color ramp the elevation to show low and high points. What kind of files do I need and where to find them?

2 Answers 2


you can use the SRTM DEM as input and create the color relief + hillshade with gdaldem. If the file is too big for your purpose, you can also use ETOPO1.They also provide colored images on this site.

If you are looking for a portal, you can visualize several DEM here


See the discussion here

Looking for a colormap for SRTM like OCM Landscape

about improved color ramps.

Note that you have to edit the color ramp's first column (the elevation divisions) to fit your DEM's highest and lowest elevations. It took me some time to figure it out, but I did manage to get some good-looking color relief maps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.