ArcMap 10.2 with extensions ArcScan and Spatial Analyst. I have two point layers (A and B). A has about 40 points and each point has a value (max. number of people it can hold). B has about 1000 points (every point is a person). I want to assign B (people) to A's max. number so that I can tell if there is enough capacity in all A-points for all the people on my map. How do I do this, do I need to convert it to raster data or can I just do an analysis with the point data? (I haven't been using GIS for a few years so I'm a bit rusty. I hope this question isn't too stupid.)
One solution is to iterate, but there could be faster methods. However, I think that the iteration is necessary because the "closest" property will change when some points A are "full".
0) before the loop, initialize the counter to "0" and add a field in B to store the FID from A.
1) create a layer using the points in A where the field value is > than your counter
2) spatial join the points from B on the points from the layer based on the points from A
3) table join the result on the B points
4) compute the FID value of A in a field of B
5) remove the join and make a layer with points from B without a FID of A
6) increment your counter by one and iterate
You can handle additional criteria in the whereclause of your feature layer, the rest of the loop will not change.