I am using ArcGIS 10.2.2 for Desktop.
I have assigned default values to some fields in a feature class, which is sitting in a file geodatabase.
I used the "Assign Default To Field Tool", which claims to have been successful, yet when I go to create a new feature none of the default values populate in the fields.
When I check the field properties it shows the default value that I assigned, it just doesn't use them.
I do have domains assigned to the fields in question, and the default values I have chosen do conform to the coded values within the domains.
I am also using a subtype within the feature class, but I can't see why that would be interfering.
I think I have covered all relevant information, just ask if I have missed something.