Can anyone tell me why the append (Desktop Management) function is not working on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine with ArcGIS 10.2.2 under the specific conditions described below? All tests on my machine were run with Windows 7 10.2.2, except for one test specified below. Other machines used Windows 7 and 10.1 or 10.2.2 I am unsure if the other machines were 64 or 32 bit.
The specific conditions are:
When the append function is run with two shapefiles, one named sites_p, the append tool runs successfully, but no records are appended to sites_p. If I rename it to sites_u, sites_t, or anything else, records are appended. This error only happens when sites_p is selected in ArcMap using the dropdown selector in the Append tool. If I add sites_p as the target dataset by selecting the filepath in ArcMap, the append function works. It also works correctly when run from ArcCatalog
The append tool was re-run after each of the steps described below. None of the steps resolved the issue:
The shapefiles were moved to a directory 1 level below my C drive with no success. All the field types and widths were checked. A blank .mxd file with only the two shapefiles was used. A new sites_p shapefile was created and tested. .net 3.5 was re-installed. I performed a clean uninstall/re-install as directed by ESRI tech support. As part of the uninstall, I also removed 64 bit background processing. All tests were repeated after the re-install
The append tool works correctly when:
It is run on other machines with the sites_p shapefile. The sites_p shapefile is converted to a file geodatabase named sites_p. It is run with ArcMap 10.2.2 and the sites_p shapefile from Microsoft Windows Technical Preview on a separate partition of my hard drive.