I have an open layers based html page, that I'm trying to use to render a WMS map served using MapServer.
The WMS layer is the 250k Miniscale UK Ordnance survey raster map, consisting of 56 tiff tiles one for each of the major UK grid squares (e.g.: nz.tif, nu.tif and so on...)
MapServer is projecting the map from a tile index shapefile using EPSG:27700, this works perfectly in QGIS when I load it as a WMS layer, and any geometry I create, is created and located correctly even when saved using a different SRS.
However, when I try to render the same WMS layer using OpenLayers, the results are drastically different.
It doesn't matter what I attempt to do in my OpenLayers constructor I continuously get the following image:
I've figured out, that this is the lower left corner of the OS map (Origin 0,0 down of the coast of the Isles of Scilly where the coordinate system for EPSG:27700 starts)
If I look at the URL that OpenLayers is sending to MapServer using fiddler, this is what I see.
As you can see, the bounding box is always set to
BBOX = 0,-90,180,90
To me this seems very wrong, especially since you can see in the image that OpenLayers is telling MapServer that it's running using EPSG:27700
The map file used by MapServer to produce the map is as follows
MAP NAME "os250k" UNITS dd SIZE 640 480 IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255 IMAGETYPE png SHAPEPATH "H:\mapserver.digital-solutions.local\geodata\\" EXTENT 0 0 700000 1300000 PROJECTION "init=epsg:27700" END WEB METADATA "ows_title" "Ordnance Survey 250k Mini Scale Map of the UK" "ows_onlineresource" "http://mapserver/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=mapapps/os250k.map" "wms_version" "1.1.1" "wms_srs" "EPSG:27700" "wfs_version" "1.0.0" "wfs_srs" "EPSG:27700" "wms_enable_request" "*" "ows_enable_request" "*" END END LAYER NAME "tiles" STATUS on TILEINDEX "os250.shp" TILEITEM "Location" TYPE RASTER PROJECTION "init=epsg:27700" END METADATA "ows_title" "Ordnance Survey Tiles for 250k Miniscale" END END END
The HTML code I'm using to render the map is as follows
Yet no matter what I do, all I seem to get is that lower corner of the entire map.
What I've tried so far
Manually, I've used fiddler to grab the request and the URL to MapServer, and I've manually set the bounding box in a browser address bar to 0,0,320000,320000. Doing this produced an image that covered the Isles of Scilly and almost all of Cornwall.
This result from manual manipulation of the BBOX on the URL suggests to me that OpenLayers is indeed sending incorrect BBOX co-ordinates, or I'm not doing something I should be.
As you can (or should be able to) see from my HTML code, I've tried different values for centring the map, specifying the bounding box, I've added lines, commented lines out used snippets of code from other answers here on GIS-SE.
I've tried specifying co-ordinates in the maps projection of EPSG:27700, I'v tried setting the various co-ordinates using EPSG:4326, I've tried setting them as 4326 and transforming them to 27700 and vice versa, each time OpenLayers just seems to ignore what I'm asking it and continues to send the same set of parameters (as seen in the fiddler image above) to MapServer.
What I'm attempting to get OpenLayers to do
Zoom into a start location on my WMS layer, this location has a bounding box as follows in EPSG:27700
xMin,yMin = 407375,548966 xMax,yMax = 414004,552315
The center is somewhere around
I've projected the Open layers map using EPSG:27700, the WMS is serving using EPSG:27700 so I can't for the life of me understand why it's not producing the expected image (which should be centred around the town of Consett in County Durham UK.
I don't want OpenLayers to start up, loading the entire map as this is a huge map covering the entire UK which takes about 25 to 30 seconds to download on a LAN, I'm aiming for this to be rendered on a tablet eventually, so map size and amount of data downloaded is very important.
For reference, this is the exact same WMS layer, loaded into QGIS using a project set to EPSG:27700 and with the bounds and centre set as stated above
I'm pretty sure that it's not the map file that's to blame, but if there is a way of providing a default start point using the map script, rather than in OpenLayers then that would also be an acceptable solution.