I'm looking for a tool or a plug-in for QGIS that would allow me to shift rasters to new coordinates. An equivalent of ArcGIS' Shift tool would be the best option.

I know I can edit the world file that comes along with the raster to do this, but some raster formats (like geotiff) contain their metadata inside their binary format.


The Rasmover plugin should do what you want.

You have to allow for experimental plugins to get it in the plugin list.

The result is a virtual raster file, which you can edit with a text editor to adjust the parameters if needed.

  • Thanks, it's not exactly what I had in mind, but this actually works. You can later save the edited vrt as a normal, standalone raster. I wish this plugin had a dialog window where you could input new coordinates.
    – pg85
    Jan 28 '15 at 7:56

I just used this in R and it solved the problem.

Page 195 from https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/raster/raster.pdf (use table of contents for quick access)

r <- raster()
r <- shift(r, x=1, y=-1)

Edit: Updated the link

  • Link is broken - please update Feb 1 '19 at 5:20
  • Updated from official R docs. (Glad it's still being used!)
    – dTanMan
    Feb 20 '19 at 10:29

For this job I am satisfied with QGIS plugin Freehand Raster Georeferencer. Allows these simple operations in an user friendly GUI: Move, Rotate, Scale, Adjust sides, 2 Points referencer.

Final export consists of three files: TIF, WorldFile (.tfw) and additional information (e.g. projection, etc.) into auxiliary file (.aux.xml).

I usually merge three files into a GeoTIFF e.g. with GDAL. I also strongly recommend to apply some compression method (the result from the Plugin is uncompressed), e.g.

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co COMPRESS=DEFLATE input.tif output.tif

  • 1
    The plugin is not outputing a tif file. Only tfw.
    – wondim
    Jun 16 at 5:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.