I am using ModelBuilder in ArcCatalog 10.3 to automate a large workflow. As part of this process I am running my inputs as a list (batch processing) and using in-line variable substitution so that I can consistently name the output files. I had the entire model built and everything was working as expected until recently. Now for some raster tools the model is changing the output raster names from what I designate them to a default output name. For example if I have three outputs from euclidian distance all named PRH_Distance_%i% they are automatically being changed to EucDist_PRH_1, EucDist_PRH_2, EucDist_PRH_3 So far just euclidean distance, slope, plus, and aspect are affected. I was wondering if anyone else had encountered a situation like this or had any thoughts on how to get ArcCatalog to use the names I am designating.
A couple things to consider about your problem:
- GRID files can only be 9 characters long.
- GRID files like to have lots of associated files with them, and model builder doesn't do a very good job of cleaning them up after processes have been run.
That said, I offer 3 solutions, since I have faced the exact same problem. I wasn't doing euclidean distances though, I was running watershed models.
- Shorten your file names and...
- Clean up leftover files and folders associated with the raster processes and...
- Try python. This doesn't really have to be code-intensive so don't freak out haha. You can export your model to python script and then just do small adjustments and use variables as replacement for the inline variable substitution. I am speaking honestly when I say this is very VERY basic python we are talking here.
Note: I have had no experience using 10.3, I am speaking from experience with 10.1 & 10.2.