I have latitudes, longitudes and ellipsoidal heights derived from GPS readings, referenced to the ITRF08 system with vertical datum (CGVD2013) - http://webapp.geod.nrcan.gc.ca/geod/hmod/hmod.php

How can I convert the data to another reference system and another vertical datum?

I might need to convert the lat lon height data at every sampling interval in a RINEX file to another reference system and datum. The amount of data may be large and hence I doubt a web-based conversion platform would be suitable.

  • Look into these free tools PostGIS, GEOS, Proj4 and GDAL. Or (not free) Safe FME.
    – Martin F
    Apr 17, 2015 at 15:40
  • Surely a duplicate of ...?
    – Martin F
    Apr 17, 2015 at 16:07

1 Answer 1


You can use PostGIS for this. To perform vertical datum transformations, you'll have to add your own SRID to the spatial_ref_sys table with the appropriate WKT and proj4 parameters.

For example, if you query the spatial_ref_sys table for NAD83(CSRS) UTM12 (EPSG:2956),

select proj4text from spatial_ref_sys where srid=2956;

you get:

+proj=utm +zone=12 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs 

Modify this with the geoidgrids parameter,

+proj=utm +zone=12 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs 

When you transform your data, you can temporarily assign the new SRID for transformation purposes, then convert it back:

select st_setsrid(st_transform(st_setsrid(geom, xxxx), yyyy), 2596) [etc.]

where xxxx and yyyy are your 3D SRIDs.

Note: CGG2013n83.gtx isn't available from NRCAN. They provide it as a .byn file. I converted it myself using a utility I wrote for that purpose.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.