I have a polygon layer containing "depth curves" for the making of a skin of earth kind of map. I want to check whether or not my feature class contain any overlaps internally between these polygons. What kind of tools can I use for this? Ideally i would like to end up with a feature class containing the bits of overlaps, so i have the possibility to check graphically where my features overlaps. And if I could somehow implement this in a larger model, things would really look good.

  • Actually something like this guy who uses a plugin "ET Geo Wizards" (youtube.com/watch?v=wzH5Ht7KmyM) and lets the wizard create the overlapping features. I want to do this in a model:-) – aneh Apr 22 '15 at 7:38
  • Have you looked on the ESRI gallery, a quick search on the word overlap throws are several tools you can download for free and use. Look here. – Hornbydd Apr 22 '15 at 13:35

When in doubt if your single polygon feature class contains self-overlapping polygons, and when this constitutes an error in your final product, you could run the intersect tool. I didn't know that the tool itself could handle a single input, but it turned out that it works in precisely the same way which it would have done when analyzing multiple inputs. Link to ArcGIS Intersect tool. It's a fairly easy way to get a graphic view of "geometric" errors in your layers. Like the image below where the scraped area symbolizes an internal overlap within a single polygon feature class which in this case represent an unsurveyed area at sea.

Scraped area symbolizes an internal overlap in a single feature class which in this case represent an unsurveyed area at sea

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.